If you went to competition this weekend, chances are you’ve got a bit of the “cheer hangover.”
The feeling is akin to the morning after you’ve had a bit much to drink at a rock concert. You might feel like your head is stuffy but not really a cold, your ears may be ringing, you might have head and body aches. And you’re probably a bit tired (okay that may be an understatement). These are just some of the symptoms that people report after being at an all day competition. And it’s worse if you’ve had to travel and stay over in another city.
How do you avoid the cheer hangover?
Here are some tips to help you avoid that morning after cheer competition feeling.
First – start before the competition begins.
- Take ear plugs (no you won’t miss anything) to help prevent the ringing in the ears
- Be sure you are well hydrated before you go
- Review the schedule and the area surrounding the venue. Plan for when / where you will take breaks away from the action.
- Take tylenol, headache relief and something for your tummy in your mom bag.
During the compeition
- Take plenty of fresh air breaks. This not only gets you away from the noise, it clears your head.
- Be sure you pack sunglasses – you’ll be in the dark most of the time but when you go outside the transition from dark to bright sun could trigger a headache.
- Drink plenty of water. It’s easy to just sit and watch but you’ll get dehydrated and that will cause the hangover symptoms as well.
- Face it, constant pounding loud music can and usually does cause a headache. Don’t try to “tough it out” – at the first sign you’re getting a headache take something for it.
- Try to avoid the greasy, fried food at most venues. Eat healthy and it will pay off the day after.
The day after
If you’ve followed the tips above you should be okay the next day other than being a bit tired. With all the excitement of competition this is, of course, natural.
Cheer hangovers are real. But with a little planning you can minimize if not avoid, the hangover.
If you have any other tips please leave them in the comments!